Re: guitar bow (was Re: OT: sitar-style bridge)

I have this device buried in one of my boxes from the California-Florida
move
(Dave, I'll try to remember to bring it to the next Hazard Factor/Future
Perfect show that I attend :)).

It is better to think of it as an alternative to the pick than as a
replacement for an E-Bow.  There is simply not enough length to it to get a
good, long sustained note that a bowed string player can get from a good
long
bow across a string.  What it _was_ designed for is getting a quick bowed
attack from your guitar strings instead of the traditional plucking sounds.
Since there is less resistance using this thing as opposed to a pick, you
can
conceivably play a lot faster using it than using a pick.

All in all, if you're looking for yet another way to get a different sound
out
of a guitar, it might be something to add to the ol' toolbox (along with
the
E-bow,  brushes, slides (holding it parallel to the string with the
plucking
hand and using the edge of the slide to "bow" the string, and other tools
that
folks here already know about).

Paolo