Re: Negativland on tour...ENO and U2

sgoodman@earthlight.net writes:

<<
 Phooey!  The only folks that'll tell you that can't play a musical
 instrument. >>

Imaybe ur right. but musical virtuosity and actually playing instruments
and
having a commitment to an instrument really doesnt matter much anymore to
audiences just like music does not matter that much these days.

i kinda liken the mdern state of things to sticks of chewing
gum..basically
they are all the same thing a wrapper and sugar coating or nutrasweet but
people keep chewing the gum until the flavor goes out which is pretty fast
these days. & then folks get another stick and another and another and
another & so on, etc.

I think the musicians and non musicians who are easilly defined and follow
expected definitions of who and what they should be and say are the ones
who
will be successful and eassilly embraced by a public that for years now (
there is a whole generation out now that has been raised in a vacuum of
sorts
with no references other than nonmusian references to draw upon and
compare
notes ) does not want complicated or disconcerting entertainment.

But i also think that musicians who immediately come up with a solid
definition &/or musicians-nonmusicians who recreate existing
definitions/cliches and or decontruct the mythos and establishment of such
definitions and constantly reinvent and churn out new and redefined
perspectives are on to something whter its on the turntable or being
played
and created live n the flesh.

sometimes the turntable dudes and dudettes "get it" and other times they
do
not.

but i cant dis-include dj culture or non-musicians from having any
validity
or deny that they can have a certain strength of perspective to bear on me
and other listners & especially so if u were to consider and think in the
context of how music is listened to and actually heard these days.

I think traditional musians "musicians" need to adapt a little bit of the
non-musicians way of thinking and executing their work. that is nothing
new
and more and more there are more and more traditional musicians who are
taking the non musicians ques and integrating a different but refreshing
music.

But I think looping's future is in the hands of folks who spin vinyl and
cd's
at nite clubs...its disposable, mesmerizing and potentially a real high
point
or a bummer depending on who is making the noise/music but it fits nicely
with what people wanna get from a musical experience...enuff to entertain
and
amuse audiences.

Not saying that if u play an instrument u are irrelevant but i do say it
becomes harder to remain relevant in any performance's context.