Re: R: "Loop" interacting with the rest of the music.

At 05:19 PM 3/23/00 -0800, you wrote:
>imho, b includes "the textural guitar thing". Being hung up on doing that
>over and over is no worse than a sax player being hung up on breathing.

Just to place that in context, what Kim was referring to as "hung up" was
when people define looping itself too narrowly, identifying it as a musical
style rather than a technique, equating it exclusively with Frippian
"soundscapes" and failing to recognize that looping can be (and is) applied
to a wide variety of types of music. It wasn't a value judgement; there's
certainly nothing wrong with concentrating one's efforts on a particular
genre of music. To use your sax player analogy, the original context had
more to do with a hypothetical response to a statement/mindset along the
lines of "Oh, you breathe? I'll bet you play the saxophone!"

Tim