Re: four-channel output/surround reverb

Having considered Environmental Audio as a concept for performing some time
ago (but only recently being able to afford moving into that area, hehehe)
returned to those thoughts as a combination of Dennis' query, and perusing
the back panel of the Mackie 1202-VLZ I got last week... There are the Main
Outs, but there are also the Alt 3/4 outputs as well... What about this
idea, then?

Such that one has four outputs for four distinct channels, match this with
quartet of reverb/effects units for each.  It's not surround, but it can be
encoded for it a lot easier than a 3D-style two-channel recording, one
think.  As far as a performance device, I suppose this works a lot
but as a pre-encoding process, what about that, O Audio Engineers Amongst
Us?  There's got to be an easier way than buying into pioneering,
bleeding-edge stuff that also costs an arm and leg...

As far as output, I'm going to be investigating the digital outputs from
SBLive MP3 card I've got, not only the S/PDIFs but the one reserved for
"Digital Output," which usually goes to a set of Surround-based speakers
like a Soundcraft or something similar.  I'm sure there's something similar
on the Layla/etc cards too... Hmm?

Stephen Goodman
EarthLight Productions * http://www.earthlight.net