Describing looping to others

Hi guys,                                                    2/25/2000
   The more I loop and get excited about the art of painting with sound
the
more I like to share the experience of what it is with others.  My old
jazz
musician teacher from S.F. Herbie Lewis asked me what's looping?  What's a
looper?  I gave him my best description but somehow I feel I could have
done
better.  Do you have short,clear, consice ways of explaining to granny or
Joe Bob or anyone to give them a good picture of what looping is?  Thanks,
Papa Dave

        Looping is..............