Re: looping electronic percussion

>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:01:59 -0500
>From: Tim Nelson <tcn62@ici.net>
>To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
>Subject: looping electronic percussion
>
>I've asked this before, but since the listmember subscribershipness is in
>constant flux, maybe someone has an idea...
>
>I'm playing with a percussionist who's developed a severe case of
>loop-envy. We generally play as a duo and he has to sit there on his
>hydraulic-pneumatic drum throne stuck in one layer of real time while I
>get
>to have all the looping fun.
>
>What he'd like to do is to put triggers on his acoustic kit to control a
>drum module (probably an Alesis D4) which he'd then run to an as-yet
>unspecified looper. Since money IS an object, he's looking at either a
>Headrush or a DL4, which leads to the crux of the biscuit:
>
>Do any of you have any ideas for a way to modify the switches on either of
>these units so they could be stick-controlled? As a kit drummer, his feet
>are too busy to deal with a stompbox. I suppose he could mount the looper
>between his floor toms and hit the switches with the heel of his right
>hand, but it would be particularly cool to have a couple of pads in the
>kit
>that would serve as switches to start and stop the loop when hit with a
>drumstick.
>
>We've got an old Yamaha DD-5 sitting there; the sounds are horrible, but
>it's got 4 pads and a MIDI out. Since neither the Headrush nor the DL4 are
>MIDI, can anyone suggest an affordable hardware interface solution that
>would allow the DD-5 pads to replace the switches? Or would it make more
>sense to rig up some sort of mechanical stick-activated switches?
>
>Ideas?
>
>Tim

Is a volume pedal next to the hi hat too prosaic?    You can even use two
and pretend you have a mixer.  (get two Dod 4second delays and fake a
stereo
signal...)

...anything with a fader words well, also.

Christine Bard

                                 Christine Bard

             I replaced the headlights in my car with strobe lights.
                   Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.
                                -Steven Wright