Re: NELS CLINE & GREGG BENDIAN - INTERSTELLAR SPACE

Just have to say I caught this show, practically by accident. We were
gigging
a block and a half away in downtown L.A. and afterward we walked by The
Smell
and heard all this racket. Often willing to support that way-out, literal
hole in the wall venue, we popped $5 each and entered. After being
thoroughly
tortured for 25 minutes by a guy with four speakers with a contact mic on
each and a mixer doing what looked like might have been a
feedback/regenerative tones performance but sounded like continuous 2.5KHz
feedback squeal...

...Nels and Gregg followed with a very exciting show - dynamic in volume
and
texture, contrasting sheer thunder and lightning with occasional moments
of
beautiful, sensitive "jazz" playing. And Nels really plays that EH 16 like
musical instrument in itself (yes, looping). Thrill to moments like when
Nels
gets a little wild modulating and pitching and wha-ing, then somehow
knocks
out his pedalboard, exclaiming "I've lost power, Captain!" to Gregg, then
taking an heroic turn to whatever's still running in the 16 and re-shaping
it
to support life for the moment, then switching to manual override -
plugging
the guitar straight into the amp (!) and busting out the Coltrane phrase
with
a mellow, old skool sensibility. Great fun.

The tour schedule is here:
>http://people.we.mediaone.net/dbeihoff/NCAS/index.html

eric p
echo park