beginner guitar synth questions

Hey gang, I've been bitten by the guitar-synth bug and am in the process of
reviewing my finances to see if I can afford to get into it soon.
Question:
I'm not primarily interested in using it to emulate other instruments
(although that will be nice), but I am very much into creating new sounds
on
my PC and storing them as patches on the synth unit so I can use them on
the
fly.  Does a basic device like the Roland GR-30 let you do this, or do I
need to look into something a little more sophisticated?

Also, is it the box or the pickup that's responsible for the quality of the
tracking?  Is the GK-2A the only pickup I'll need to look at?

Thanks.

Peter

R.I.P. Charles M Schultz