Re: NAMM & the new Plex

>Ouch. 16 bit AD/DA is..., well, dated. Soundwise, I mean.

I have a different viewpoint.  16 bit AD/DA dated, well, yeah, I suppose.
If
the 'plex was designed today it would probably be 24-bit.  However, I
doubt that
24-bits would make any audible difference.  16 bit linear coding is still
"cd-quality", afterall.  24-bit resolution would be important if the 'plex
did
any signal twisting, but the 'plex is basically just "bits in and bits
out".
The higher resolution is important when you're processing the signal, like
doing
math on it (filters, phasors, compressors, etc), and you compute a value
larger
than 16 bits.  With the 'plex, the only signal processing is when you
overdub
you're doing an addition.

The biggest advantage for a 24-bit 'plex would probably be greater dynamic
range
rather than greater clarity.

>New software? Okay, a stereo plex in one unit. :-)
>Or would that mean new hardware? Hmm.

But I'm all for a hardware update!

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com