Re: MP3 --> VBR

I just purchased SoundJam electronically (for $40) and its really nice!  So
far, the only negative thing I've found is that the VBR (variable bit rate)
encoder doesn't work as well as another one I have used (LAME for Linux
OS).   Soundjam tends to encode at about half of the bit rate for the same
song [at MAX quality setting] as LAME.    Otherwise it works well.
SoundJam also does MP2 encoding, which is optimized forlarger bit rates
(160 - 512 Kbps) .    SoundJam allows for a maximum of 320 Kbps for MP3's
and 384 Kbps for MP2's.   I highly recommend the VBR, though (for MP#
only).  Its a good quality/memory optimization.

Has anyone had experience with other VBR encoders?

- chris