Re: Can any one recommend a good volume/expression/wha pedal

At 8:42 AM -0800 1/15/00, Jeff Duke wrote:
>I love the Morley optical pot. aspect, however on my Morley wah/vol I was
>disappointed that the volume part is audio taper not linear taper, some
>might find
>this a good thing but I cannot do the same type swells that I could w/ my
>older
>Morley wah/vol non optical linear taper pot. True about the volume
>decrease in the
>older one though.
>
>The difference is that linear taper is a steady increase in volume over
>the range
>of the pedal while the audio taper stacks up incrementally. I am sorry I
>can't
>explain the differences better. Anyone else?

you have that backwards.

Audio (or log) taper gives a steady increase in volume throughout the
range. This reasonably matches the way your ears respond to volume. (i.e.,
doubling the signal amplitude does *not* sound twice as loud to your ears.
it takes an exponential amplitude increase to sound like a linear volume
increase to you.)

Linear pots tend to sound like all the volume change happens right in the
beginning of the range, then you hardly hear any change through the rest of
the range of the pot. They do not sound like a steady volume increase,
which is why the other sort was invented.

So volume pots are usually audio/log, expression pedal and such are usually
linear.

kim

http://www.annihilist.com/  |