Re: DL4 ~~~~~V/S~~~~~~~~~the Boomerang?????

>DL4 ~~~~~V/S~~~~~~~~~the Boomerang?????
>
>anyone out there care to compare the two???????

Well, the DL4's got a pretty tough molded aluminum case and recesssed
plastic knobs, but I'd give the edge in face-to-face combat to the
boomerangs steel case. Plus, the boomerang just looks tougher, none of that
sissy green gloss paint...

Actually, I have both, and probably won't part with either. While in
theory, the boomies got the edge with 4minutes or so of sampling time, I
personally don't really use loops longer then 10-15 secs, so the DL-4's
14/28 seconds are fine. The interface of the DL can be confusing if you're
used to the boomie, ie., on the boomie you hit "record" to start recording
and "record" again to stop recording and start playback, doing that on the
DL puts it into overdub mode. The DL's use of the same button for reverse
and speed change is semi-confusing at first, but isn't hard to get used to.
For me, the real great thing about the DL is the other delay models. I
absolutely love the tape delay emulations and the reverse delay. The
different emulations all have really different non-linear feels at high
regeneration levels, the thing feeds back in very cool ways.

I think the DL-4 in loop mode is higher fidelity than the boomerang, but I
also find the digital grunge of the boomerang sounds pretty musical.

Now the 2 of them inline is a lotta fun: 4Xspeed, 2Xoctave bass loops,
yum...

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra