Re: picking question?????

At 04:35 PM 10/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>i have a question to the guitars out there. what is the best way to hold a
>pick. i for years now hold my pick somewhat like you would a dart( you
>know
>as in a dart board.) i saw this guy a bar play very very fast something i
>have been trying to do but he held his pick differently.
>http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/f/p/fpm108/glw/pictures/lesson3_figure1.jp
>g this is how he held it. i took this off of a guitar lesson page.

Yes, this is the way I was taught by my jazz guitar teacher (back when I
was actually playing guitar - I play mostly tabla these days).  For me, it
was basically learning how to play all over again because I was holding my
pick like Steve Morse, but my teacher deemed it a necessity because I was
taking an classical guitar to private and small group lessons and the Steve
Morse method was not producing enough volume acoustically.

If you ask 10 guitarists, you will probably get 10 different answers. :)

Cheers,
Paolo