Re: Q o' th' Week: Live Gig Rig Logistics

I have 3 rackmountable units and 5 floor pedal units in my live rig which
got rather unmanagable with patch cables and wallwarts all over the place.
I'm always amazed how frequently I loose cables and gain someone elses
after
a gig. To resolve this mess, I wanted to get a rack but couldn't afford
one.
One day, I was rummaging through the local 2nd hand store looking for golf
clubs when I saw a beat up stereo cabinet for $5. I bought it and spurced
it
up with some black paint. My rack mount gear fit perfectly. The top shelf
where normally a turntable would sit was perfect for my looping foot pedals
that I manipulate with my hands (Akai Headrush, Digitech Delay, etc). I
slanted the shelf at a moderate incline so the pedals would be a bit more
upright for my playing position (I play seated). I put velcro tape on the
shelf and pedals. I made an additional shelf for my candles and incense. At
the bottom of the rack, I installed some power strips and slot for my combo
amp for the occassions that I don't bring my amp head and 4x12 cabinet. I
put some casters on for mobility and have been pleased with my bargain rack
ever since. All the patch cables are neatly bundled within the rack so I
only have to insert the rack into my effects loop when I use my half stack
set up. It now takes me all of 5 minutes to get on and off the stage and I
leave the joint with the same patch cables I came with.