Re: Get Over Yourself (or, How Not to Introduce Yourself to a MailingList)

>jeeze, it's not like these guys were exchanging urls for pay porn sites.
>they
>were talking shop -- loopers discussing an instrument they use in looping.
>the list name, which you patronizingly pointed out, is "looper's delight".
>how is that so off-topic?
>
>in fact, in this whole thread, your own post makes you look most like who
>you
>describe when you insult half the people on this list -- a ranting,
>self-important, calloused jerk.
>
>if this is the sort of tone you wish to set here then unsubscribe me.
>because
>it is you who are off-topic.  at least until you change the list name to
>Loopers-Full-Of-Themselves.
>
>thanks,
>ch

Well, I must say, I practically had tears in my eyes from laughing over
this whole thing.

You may want to peruse the famous Netiquette guide by Arlene Rinaldi,
especially the section on mailing list etiquette:

http://www.fau.edu/netiquette/net/dis.html

Very smart advice from decades of collective wisdom on how these things
work. Those of you who haven't checked it in a while may wist to review.
Some great points from Arlene:

  - Keep your questions and comments relevant to the focus of the
    discussion group.

  - If another person posts a comment or question that is off the
    subject, do NOT reply to the list and keep the off- subject
    conversation going publicly.

[This next one is my favorite, people are so predictable....]

  - When someone posts an off-subject note, and someone else criticizes
    that posting, you should NOT submit a gratuitous note saying "well, I
    liked it and lots of people probably did as well and you guys ought to
    lighten up and not tell us to stick to the subject".

[And finally, since Mr. CH only subscribed on Monday, this next one should
be particularly relavant...]

   - When you join a list, monitor the messages for a few days to get a
     feel for what common questions are asked, and what topics are deemed
     off-limits. This is commonly referred to as lurking. When you feel
     comfortable with the group, then start posting.

A lot more good advice there, check it out.

And yes, I am an asshole. My daddy was an asshole before me, and his daddy
an asshole before him. Very long, proud asshole tradition. You'll just have
to get over it. ;-)

kim