I want a loop machine

Hi all,

    I'm a guitar/banjo/madolin player who's trying to get better putting
scales over chord progressions.I tried using a tape, but can't get
enough on a tape to get any benefit from practice.  I start run out of
recording and rewind.   I've looked at a couple of effects processors,
but they only have 1-3 seconds of loop.  Obviously, I need more. How
much I don't know? What should I be looking for? Is software a cost
effective option? Good new/used equipment to look at?

    I know nothing about what is on the market at his time. I really
don't care about any effects; just clean, easy pedal operation looping.
Any information/helpful hints/websites would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Thor Steffen