Re: Mesa Boogie Mark amps

Hi David:

I own a Boogie Mark IV combo and I love it.  Avoid the Mark III (a friend
of
mine had one).  Don't get me wrong, it's two channels (clean and dirty)
sound great but it was originally advertised as having three different
tones.  The problem is the third tone was a mixing of the two channels that
never really worked that well.  There is also volume balance problems when
you switch between the two channels.

The Mark IV succeeded where the Mark III failed.  The three channels
(clean,
dirty, lead) are all excellent sounding, all very flexable tone wise, and
you can switch between them using the included floor pedal.  The amp is
very
well designed and although the many knobs and switches look intimidating at
first, it is very intuatively laid out.  It is a great amp for someone like
me who wants a full tube amp and needs to switch instantly to different
tones.  I highly recommend it if you can afford it.

The main problem I have with the amp is that it is just too damn loud. I
have never had it above 4 and that was in a largish club.  Also, the
speaker
(ev black shadow), while sounding great, is very directional and there is a
noticable
volume difference when you are directly in line with it as opposed to being
askew from it.  It's also really heavy for it's size.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ko
Philadelphia, PA