Re: R: Boomerang drone

> << A question for Boomerang users:   can somebody tell me if there's a
>way to
>  set up a continuous drone without the slight pause when the loop
>restarts?
>   >>

  It is difficult to get a "perfect drone" with a looping device because
of the loop boundary. That's where the end meats the beginning. The
splice in the tape, so to speak. However, I've had some luck with the
following technique.
  Start recording, but play nothing for a moment. Then volume swell the
note or chord. Let it ring for a bit then fade it out. Record just a bit
more silence, then conclude the loop. What you have is a drone loop with
a short silence right over the loop boundary.
  Step two involves layering another part. Swell the second chord (same
or different) toward the end of the first one allowing it to ring.
Record over the loop boundary, fade down and conclude layering after the
original chord comes back strong.
  When done well this can create a drone that has very little volume
change, and covers any artifacts that may occur at the loop boundary.
Additional layers can be added for a more complex or morphing texture.

--
Mike Nelson

Boomerang Musical Products       800-530-4699
PO Box 541595                    214-340-6913, Outside USA
Dallas, TX  75354-1595           214-343-1038, Fax

http://www.boomerangmusic.com    mnelson@dmans.com, email

"Some products make you sound better;
 the Boomerang Phrase Sampler makes you play better."