Re: Question of the Week -- when do you NOT loop?

Hi everyone -I think this is a most important topic (i wanted to ask it
myself a while back )
I think the practice  of using it because its there is not what David had
in mind -after all (speaking  for myself)
I a musician who uses loops as a tool to get results not available
otherwise.Not a looper who tries to fit in with any context I'm placed in
I've played many shows where i brought my loop gear  but  dint rely on it -
maybe that has a lot to do with density of the music -who I'm playing with
musical direction..etc

a few things I've observed -

i have created some truly remarkable  music using looping  with only a
capable drummer
someone who can get inside of the loop & circle  it at the same time
interaction like that is beauty -beauty is a rare thing--

in a group situation :
if the other participants dont get what I'm  doing -the music will suffer
any attempts to loop my way to success  wont work if theres no empathy

looping is a tool -it isn't necessary  that i do it all the time -if the
music doesn't call for it
there are things in music ,in sound -space, dynamics
that looping cannot give me
I'm not saying i cant have space in loops etc--

i like making an intelligent  de scion  when to  deploy or not

as Tim pointed out,and i agree -how we approach the choice of not looping
says a lot about
how we loop & our ideas toward creation of music

great topic  K