Re: Korg DL8000R Delay

If U don't have a Lexicon PCM42 w/ expanded memory or a PDS 8000 or an
'original'electro harmonix 16 sec. delay you will never be able to record @
1 speed and then playback @ different speed (like I do) then you are
basically f- ouled up as to applying this type of program to your LOOPS-
sez
me-...stanner...

----------
> [...]

> multiplier/divider ratio applied to the tempo. Tempo is in quarter-notes,
> as you would expect, so with Tempo set to 120, a ratio of 1/4 gives you
> 1/16 notes at 120 = 125ms, while a ratio of 4 gives you a whole note
>(4/4)
> = 2000ms. The slowest tempo selectable from the panel is 50, and the
> longest ratio = 4, which works out to 4800ms per channel.
>
> For example, the "ten second delay" is derived from left input -> left
> 400ms delay -> left 4800ms delay -> right 4800ms delay -> both outputs.
> Most other combinations are possible too. I enjoy playing with a 9600ms
> cross delay, with a very light decay and damping eq.
>
> What confused me a little at first is the way varying delay times are
> handled. Unlike other loopers I've heard and read about, the internal
> operating speed is fixed at 48kHz, from inputs to outputs. This has its
> advantages, such as zero internal noise from conversions, but it means
>some
> "standard" looping effects are impossible. As an analogy, think of the
> DL8000R as two tape loops that run at a permanently fixed speed, each
>with
> a write head and four read heads. Each read head can be moved
>individually,
> but the loop speed never changes.  When you change the delay time
> (statically or dynamically), you're moving the head(s) only. Whilst doing
> so, the frequency/speed of the output changes, but once you stop moving,
> the speed is back to normal again. You can't record at one speed and play
> back at another continously, as I've heard e.g. DTorn doing with his
>Lexicons.
>
> Each head's delay time can be controlled dynamically, as can numerous
>other
> parameters such as levels and LFO, by LFO, MIDI or 1 foot-controller.
>With
> LFO controlling a simple short delay time, the result is a "warped
>record"
> effect that makes me seasick. The presets include various chorus and
>flange
> effects too. The foot controller I have (Bespeco) has quite short travel
> and makes it sensitive - a slight slip can send all 8 taps reeling and
> leave warped blips in the delay lines if you aren't careful.
>
> Unlike DavidK, I don't find it noisy at all, but maybe I got lucky. It
>has
> 48kHz convertors, with unbalanced connectors, and the eqs work well. A
> setting of 0dB feedback level results in genuine infinite delay with no
> loss at all - I've left it looping for hours this way. I don't think many
> were built, or maybe the serial no. on mine (0000240) is just a fluke. I
> haven't used it in earnest, but I would be happy to do so now I know its
> limitations.
>
> Likes:
>  - good sync capabilities - great fun with sequencer / drum machine for
effects