Re: Non loop related- recorders

Audio Technica AT 801 and the 702 are a good combo--l like the $250 or so
801 better than the 100-300$ Sony stereo mics

also use a pair of the $35 each AT 35 lavaliers from Best Buy for stereo
and
mono sound seeking (they're chiclet sized and sound OK)

yes, the mic pre sucks--I use it anyway for now--someone suggested the
Sampson Mixpad 4 with batteries for cheap semi-portable mic pres

I travel with my 702 alot and it's great transporting a dozen or so
recordings (including the Torn and Squarepusher that my sweetie don't dig),
a few blank discs, the  AT 35's, spare Li battery and a pair of Sony ear
buds in a 3x5x7" nylon pouch

As far as the sound quality of the ATRAC compression, I think it sounds
pretty good, but I've seen posts from folks recording massed strings and
bagpipes who complained of distortion

Tom Lambrecht
hideo@concentric.net

BTW thanks loads for all those  ##  VORTEX  ## tips