Re: More Roland VS info

Thanks for the info, Doug,

1)  Re. the D16:

I just looked up the specs for the D16.  Would someone else go there and
give
me their take on it?  I have a difficult time reading through hype.  It
appears to me that if you want to use compressionless data, you only get 8
tracks simultaneous playback and 4 (!!!) of simultaneous recording.  Four
is a
long way from 16!   It's confusing because it mentions that if you want to
do
24-bit 44.1 khz compressionless recording, you're limited to 8/4 tracks.
The
other option is 16-bit (which allows 16/8 tracks) but it doesn't say
whether
or not 16-bit mode is compressionless or what the sample rate is.

I mean, if the only way you can get it to play back 16 tracks is if you're
outputting at low quality, that's kind of cheesy.

Plus I didn't find anything about a tuner or a drum machine built in, and
the
only built-in effect seems to be basically preamp modeling.

Please help if you can.  The official URL is http://www.korg.com/d16.cfm.
would send them an email directly but when you press the "contact" button
on
their web page all you get is the opportunity to join their "future" email
list.

2)  Re. the VS1680

Doug, how is the sound quality?  I don't mean to run the word
"compressionless" into the ground but I'd rather like to have it.  From the
DM16 info I just read, it seems that your VS1680 is actually better.

3)  Does anyone have any experience with other 16-track portable HD
recorders?
Does anyone use their computer as a multitrack recorder and if so, how many
tracks, and what do you think the minimum specs for the computer would
have to
be?

Tim