[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]

Re: preset nightmares (RANT)

My effects rig is so low tech that I haven't had this problem however.. 
Using the Roland Groovebox MC303 (the first one) has been nightmare for 
similar reasons.  You have 50 patterns that are yours to fill.  The 
has about 500 patterns, 468 which are totally cheesey crap.  After you've 
got about 15 really cool patterns of your own programmed in...you get the 
DREADED ERROR 6... which means out of memory.  There is no way (after 
pestering the hell out of Roland and sending many emails) it seems to 
any precious memory or dump all the useless fart-o-rama loops off it to 
room for cool stuff you write.  Why?
Because you see these loops were writen by "professional DJ's"  and their 
ideas are of course way better than yours or mine.  They even list name 
credits for these loops!!  Man, I'd put somebody I hate's name on it if I 
was the creator of any of that paff.
Ultimately Roland's answer was for me to buy the MC505.

Hey I'm ranting again.
Didn't Kim say that was okay.

>From: "american qabalah" <american@qabalah.com>
>Reply-To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
>To: <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
>Subject: Re: New looping pedal--Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler (RANT)
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:16:31 -0500
>I agree with Travis Hartnett.  Get agreat effects rig and then turn off 
>the settings if you want to but I disagree with the idea that you have 
>possibility with less tools.
>However I sympathize with the original poster, if what he's saying is 
>think he's saying.  Not that I am a philistine but the complex equipment 
>complicated and user-unfriendly that you quickly get bored and your eyes 
>over from information blackout trying to play with 5,000,000,000,000 
>settings come up with something of your own that sounds as good as the
>presets.  And like Mr. Baldwin, I sort of resent having to turn on
>"Dr. Feelgood Retro Give Peace A Chance Chakralove Wavy Gravy Cherry 
>Tripping Daisymania"
>"Satrianian Spacesurfer Shred-O-Matic Delicate Yet Manly Yet Educated Ding
>Dong Dive Bomborama"
>"Cliffs Of Dover Ozone Moonchild Floating Diatonic Technocolor Virgotones 
>"Adrian Belew is 10,000 Times Better Than You Will Ever Live To Be Lone 
>Mating At The Orpheum July 1992"
>"Deathreich Satanocarnage Crucifascist Wife-raping Paingasm Meat
>and rely on something somebody else came up with.  It's like the 
>is saying, "hey, you suck, and because you suck, we're giving you some
>settings that actual smart people came up with because you suck so much, 
>live with it, because if you try to come up with your own setting on 
>equipment you better have a hexadecimal calculator and brush up on your
>differential calculus, moron, or your guitar is going to sound like a 
>in heat on AM radio and everyone's going to KNOW you suck."
>Of course, I'm way lazy.  Besides, no man is an island, is she?  We get by
>with a little help from our friends.   But until I can find where I put my
>statistical mechanics book and get two- or three-hundred hours of free 
>time, I
>am with K. Douglas Baldwin:  give me the damn stomp box with the one damn
>button and the damn amplifier with the three damn knobs.  And I'll stomp 
>twist to my ignorant little heart's content.
>Sorry for ranting.
>My apologies to anyone who is going for a manatees-in-heat-on-AM-radio 
>You called my bluff:  I envy you.
>----- Original Message -----
>From: Travis Hartnett <hartne.t@apple.com>
>To: <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
>Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 12:58 PM
>Subject: Re: New looping pedal--Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler.
> > Well, you can always zero all the presets on an effects box and start 
> > zero...
> >
> > TH
> >
> > ----------
> > >From: "K. Douglas Baldwin" <dbaldwin@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
> > >To: Tim Nelson <tcn62@ici.net>, Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
> > >Subject: Re: New looping pedal--Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler.
> > >Date: Tue, Jul 27, 1999, 12:44 PM
> > >
> >
> > >     All that I would add to my original comment is that I wish these
> > > companies would come up with a *blank canvas* approach, rather than a
> > > "retro" anything or "future" anything or "Saturnine chakra massage"
> > > anything. My fave-rave FX and amps are those which, with a minimum of
> > > settings, get the widest range of expression. Dinky smudge-colors 
> > > ancient stomp boxes are way cool, to be sure, but give me the wide 
> > > nothingness of infinite possibility any day. I also understand that 
>from a
> > > marketing standpoint, this approach is really difficult to sell (no 
>one is
> > > prepared to buy blank canvases because no one sells blank canvases 
> > > no one buys blank canvases....). But this negative-loop 
> > > broken if either the buyer or seller chooses not to play the game.
> > > -----Original Message-----
> >
> >

Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com