Re: WANTED: Online music responses

It is my hope that the availability of online music will put a fire under
conventional retail outlets to make it more enticing to go to the corner
retail music store. I love places like Amoeba in Berkeley. It's a 20 minute
drive for me but its worth the trip because I can find the esoteric stuff I
love and can't find at the crappy Vallejo Wherehouse. Of course, most of my
weird musical cravings can be satisfied by shopping online and I do avail
myself to these outlets often. However, there is still something wonderful
about milling through the bins looking for that rare find or bargain price
and I'm fortunate to live in a metropolitan area that has cool outlets.
Conversely, much of my family live in rural Oklahoma and only have Wal-mart
or Sam Goody to rely on for their retail music needs (try finding a David
Torn CD in one of those places). My family give thanks everyday for online
music outlets.

> As for the record store issue, I shop at Amoeba (in San Francisco or
Berkeley CA)
> all the time, I also really enjoy Aquarius Records (in SF). I usually
>walk
out of
> those record stores carrying a delightful surprise. The reason that I
>have
> grudge against the national chain stores is because a lot of people don't
have a
> really great record store nearby. I think there's more good record stores
than
> there ever was, but for most towns in America, the best selection at a
record
> store is Media Play (which is owned by musicland, I believe).
>
> more on this later, I believe, I have to go to work.
>
> matt
>
> Kim Flint wrote:

>mailing
list.

> > >No spam here -- I'm an independent musician/cash register clerk (not
> > >always in that order) trying to gather some ideas for how to go about
> > >getting his music heard.
> >
> > Andre's been on the LD list pretty much since it started. He's cool
>man.
> > Old timers will recall that Andre's ability to tell me I'm wrong
>exceeds
> > Hawkeye's by about 1000 times, in quantity, quality, and intensity. If
he
> > can still post here, anybody can. ;-)

> > >Hopefully these two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Musicland