Re: VST?

> >On the topic of VST, has anyone here yet tried out Cycling 74's
>"Pluggo"?
> >Sounds too good to be true, 74 extreme VST plugins for $74.  Let's see
>some
> >comment!
> >
> >http://www.cycling74
>
> I've had it for a few weeks now, and I've been too busy to give more
>than a
> cursory look at the plugs, but there is some very interesting stuff
>there!
> Def. worth the $74 if you have a VST capable app, esp considering that
> David Z is planning on posting new plug-ins monthly. Also it's pretty
> inspiring to me to see what can be done with MAX/MSP, which I am in the
> process of learning when I get more time.

I had the opportunity to see/hear Mr. Z. demonstrate pluggo in advance of
its release a few weeks back in NYC; you and I had better come up with a
new definition of "true" as pluggo is genuinely too good. He did things to
the recorded work of Carole King via pluggo that her "people" would almost
certainly not take a shine to but a range of individuals from Karlheinz
Stockhausen to Negativland might well do (Ms. King, should there be any
doubt on the issue, makes me all shiny under any/every circumstance...).
The advantages of pluggo:

1.) Signal processing in the digital audio/microprocessor realm -- this
opens up considerable FX options beyond the standard waveform modulation
(chorus/flange/phaser/filtering)/distortion/pitch-shift continuum most
commercial processors have exhausted eardrums with for a generation (not
delay, though, _obviously_...and, to reiterate a previous post of mine,
MAX/MSP is the looper's best friend they never knew they had before they
bought a Mac G3...). Latency in this realm can be bothersome, but it's not
at all like what you get tracking a synth with a guitar, for example.

2.) The possibility of creating your own pluggo plug-ins. Yes, you, too
can join your friends and neighbors in the homebrew processing craze
that's sweeping a nation of shut-ins -- provided you have MAX/MSP, you can
export your favorite means of handcrafted vibrational persuasion to the
VST realm.

3.) When was the last time you got a single-duty stomp box for $1 (US)?
Multiply that by 74 and add some other duties to that single and feel them
cilia tingle.

Can't stop/Get-it-get-it/Won't stop/Get-it-get-it...

   ~      > --- James Keepnews --- <  "Don't quote anybody, Sir!"
 (.-.)    > -- Multimedia Yahoo -- <
    \                 *                           -- Krishnamurti
   -      > -  keepnews@node.net - <