Re: backing solo performances

93

Re: the pre-recorded vs. live problem:

I used to actually play gigs with a sampler,
mult-timbral synth module and drum machine, all run
from the sequencer while I played guitar and my
partner played guitar and vocals. I did this till I
got in a real band ;-) There simply is no comparison
between doing it with other people and doing it with
yourself, so desu neh?

I agree with others here that the key is in
arrangements. If you've only got 2 people, then write
music for two people. Usually, less is more, ya know?

Ok, here's my current bit 'o prejudices: keyboardists
who set up facing the audience (i.e. you can't see
their hands, just the back of their keyboards with
all of the wires hanging down like electronic
intestines) and solo turntablists. These are damn
dull to watch. Look, he's putting on another record
and bobing his head! Oh, someone stop me from
fainting with excitement! And if I see another
so-called performance that features someone staring
into their computer monitor, I going to go up between
sets and pop a virus into their hard drive! (joke
folks, joke!!)

And now, dirty secret time: I like to play gigs where
I midi synch my jamman to my sampler which is setup
to play percussion loops. What is my secret, you
might ask? I use a semi-nude dancer who everyone
looks at, so no one pays me any attention! Heh heh
heh heh...

93
Rev. Doubt-Goat
===