Re: backing solo performances

While I've often used pre-recorded sound effects to accompany improvised
pieces, I used to have a very poor opinion of the use of any sort of
pre-recorded MUSIC in live performance. However, technology has gradually
re-shaped my view and I've found a way to use pre-recorded material without
feeling as if I'm cheating...

Most of my keyboards are old analog beasts with no presets (an SH-101, a
Juno-6, a Halifax organ, etc.) and many of my other instruments are not
suitable for use in venues with any significant level of background noise
(shakuhachi, native American flute, etc.) or are delicate and/or present
tuning problems (hurdy-gurdy) that makes toting them along to gigs
unpractical. Plus, I'd have to schlepp all that stuff, and set up/tear down
REALLY quickly, everyones' least favourite part of playing out. However,
they still make some enjoyable and useful sounds that I'd like to draw upon
live.

I find that sampling has made the line a great deal finer between what I
would consider a "pre-recorded performance" and what could pass as a
"patch". I've also seen some DJ's in the past few years whose musicianship
was so impressive that I was forced to re-evaluate my prejudices regarding
my personal definition of "instrumentalist". Here too, I confess to a
certain amount of snobbery; I still don't feel comfortable sampling from
other people's music, but have reconciled myself to feeling okay about
sampling my own playing, using instruments that for the reasons listed
above I'm not likely to bring to a gig. That's why my rack includes a
MiniDisc deck.

To me, the biggest difference between coming off as "karaoke" and actually
playing live lies in the nature of what's been recorded and in how it's
presented, on how much live manipulation is required on the part of the
performer (and how noticible it will be if you bobble it!). Long melodic
passages, complicated solos, tightly timed backing vocals - this sort of
thing strikes me as "canned", although I realize there are many performers
whose shows are greatly enhanced by this approach. On the other hand, short
pre-recorded loops of riffs, textures, found sounds, sequencer ostinatos -
stuff that wouldn't sustain a performance by itself without real-time
tweaking - can be PLAYED in real time with a mixer and looping devices, and
combined with input from instruments (the ubiquitous guitar and bass)
better suited to plugging in and playing. I can drop a didgeridoo drone
from a disc into a delay, hit "HOLD", and use the resulting loop as a pad
which keeps going while I change discs or play an instrument on top of it,
and I'm not bothered by the fact that the actual four-second didge loop was
pre-recorded in my basement. It's not like I'm pressing "play" and heading
over to the bar for a cold one while my "performance" comes out of the
speakers; there's still a great deal of real-time control required. Of
course, it's impossible to play anything the same way twice using this
approach, but that's what makes it fun.

Tim

>Michael Tuminello wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> my original plan was to do something similar (probably midi synth + drum
backing only), until I saw a guy @ Sidewalk cafe in NY do this. He seemed
like an accomplished musician - he had arranged string tracks and all kinds
of crazy backing for his stuff.

>> However, the end result for me was that I felt like he was playing
karaoke. I had the feeling that he wasn't even singing or playing guitar
anymore, and that it was all recorded. (Not true, but that's what it felt
like to me.) At that point I decided that a full band was the way to go.

>> Other people may have differing opnions (I'm sure they will), but you
should try to check out someone who performs like this before you totally
commit to doing it yourself, in my opinion. I went from no doubt that it
would work to completely discarding the idea.

>> MT
>>
>>      Greetings:
>>      In the most recent issue of Guitar Player magazine, there is an
article on the use of MiniDisc backing tracks for live performances by solo
artists. This article is timely for me because I'm currently developing a
repertoire of recorded rhythmic and ambient accompaniment to supplement my
guitar looping for solo live performances. My desire is to maintain an
improvisational element in my performance but also to give the gig some
structure with the accompaniment, which I'm committing to CD via my new HP
CD recorder. I would like to hear from other members of this list who are
doing similar things. I'd be interested in hearing how others use
accompaniment (what kind of medium, what desired effects are being
achieved, etc..).

           e but

           e but