Live Accompaniment

Greetings:
In the most recent issue of Guitar Player magazine, there is an article on the use of MiniDisc backing tracks for live performances by solo artists. This article is timely for me because I'm currently developing a repertoire of recorded rhythmic and ambient accompaniment to supplement my guitar looping for solo live performances. My desire is to maintain an improvisational element in my performance but also to give the gig some structure with the accompaniment, which I'm committing to CD via my new HP CD recorder. I would like to hear from other members of this list who are doing similar things. I'd be interested in hearing how others use accompaniment (what kind of medium, what desired effects are being achieved, etc..).
Best Regards,
Alan Imberg