Re: John Cage recordings and what's in a name...

>>I'm opposed to classifying music at all.
>
>Amen!  The best music store I've seen, regarding "classifying" music, was
>one in Austin, TX.  I can't remember the name of it, but they didn't
>classify anything!  You could use a computer and search for "types of
>music"
>if you wanted to but the CDs in the store's bins were alphabetical by
>band/performer.  I LIKED IT!

i'm pretty sure you are referring to waterloo records. very cool store
indeed. they do have a few sections that don't fit into the band/performer
system though (compilations, soundtracks, etc). for instance, john cage is
in the composers section. this makes it really easy to find music that
might, in another store, be located in any one of jazz, pop, rock, or (god
forbid) 'electronica'.

it's very natural for people to want to put things into categories. i just
hate going to the record store and looking through the jazz and electronica
sections for isotope 217 and eventually finding it in pop (?!).

-travis