Re: John Cage recordings

Cage is a special case, though I think he belongs
with other modern "avant-garde" composers of the 50's.
His work drew the same audience and pushed the boundaries
of art music in the same way as the work of Xenakis,
Stockhausen, Boulez, Ligeti, etc. He's special because
he pushed past all reasonable rules of what could
define a musical experience (i.e. the infamous 4'33).
He's also a composer who is known more for his ideas
than his music.

Robert Morgan's _Twentieth Century Music_ does an
excellent job of covering the evolution of classical
music from post-romanticisim through atonality, serialism,
and all the things that happened after WWII.  Cage
was a student of Schoenberg for a while, so there is
a traceable heritage all the way back to Bach, even
if most of his music does not reveal it. But then again,
Webern doesn't sound like Bach either.

Jim