Re: belew

You probably wouldn't find anything in his garbage; in the March issue of
Guitar Shop (the one with the David Torn piece), Belew talks about using
the VG-8/Johnson Millenium on "Belewps", but also makes several statements
about his old effects such as:

     - "I still have all of these things - I almost have a museum going
here, so I'm liable to pull those old things out and use the old sounds
every now and then."
     - "It's difficult to get away from the stompboxes, actually, because
there is some attraction to having knobs and things that can be changed in
real time."
     - "I love *playing* the effects. That's when you find something that a
unit is not supposed to do, and that's my favorite moment - when you can
get a device to do something they don't tell you about in the manual! But
it's become harder and harder over the years to find these moments as more
manufacturers have become more controlled, more digital: You don't have as
much room to cause things to happen. That's why some people really love the
old stompboxes. They may have been of lower quality, but at least they had
a lot of flexibility. You could get one box to do three or four different
sounds. Now, you can get a multi-effect to do a hundred different sounds,
but those sounds are not really all that different - they're sort of
homogenous."

Et cetera, et cetera... He DOES say some interesting things about using
loops in the interview, and he's always been one to embrace new technology,
but he's a self-admitted packrat. He's pictured literally surrounded by his
massive guitar collection, and even mentions that he still uses one of
Fripp's original Revoxes.

Now, perhaps if we were to sift through Fripp's rubbish... :-)

Tim