Happy Birthday!

to Miles Dewey Davis....

>From Charlie Parker to Gil Evans to Gerry Mulligan to Sonny Rollins to
Sonny Stitt to Bill Evans to John Coltrane to Wynton Kelly to Cannonball
Adderley to Wayne Shorter to Herbie Hancock to Tony Williams to Chick
Corea to Keith Jarrett to Joe Zawinul to John McLaughlin to Bennie
Maupin to Dave Holland to Pete Cosey to Mtume to Airto Moriera to Steve
Grossman to Sonny Fortune to Marcus Miller to John Scofield to Mike
Stern to Bill Evans (the other one..) to Bob Berg to Foley to Kenny
Garrett (and countless greats in between) he's brought out the very best
in all of them!

If i wanted to name my top 5 or top 10 fav Miles CDs, i'm not sure that
i could differentiate between them enough to pick 5!

Some of my favs would include:
Milestones
Bitches Brew
Big Fun
On the Corner
Agartha
Kind of Blue
Cookin'
Sketches of Spain
Jack Johnson
Porgy and Bess
Nefertiti
Star People

and on and on and on....

Today, my favorite period of his music is his late 60's/early 70's
stuff, but that classic sextet from the late 50's/early 60's is right
there... and then the 65-68 group....

I actually only saw Miles in concert once in 1986 in Phoenix AZ and i
STILL get goose bumps every time i think of it...  I had NO idea what i
was in for, he had brought the sounds of the JUNGLE to the DESERT!  They
had to drag me outta there afterwards...  THE true master of colors,
sounds, textures!  Happy Birthday to the Prince of Darkness!

What does Miles mean to YOU?

Peace.