TC 2290 a request and a warning

    Hi all.  I'm brand spanking new to this list.  I've been through
quite a bit of the archives and I couldn't find anything on this
subject, so I'm gonna fire away.
    I just got off the phone with a tech from TC Electronics.  He tells
me that as of the end of 1998 TC has discontinued both the TC0050 and
the TC0144 footcontrol units that are used with the 2290.  The 0144 is
the larger unit which has switches for the sampling/loop functions,
dedicated switches for the 5 fx loops in the 2290, and some preset
switching options as well.  The 0050 is a 5 button footcontroller which
theoretically (according to the manual) can be configured to perform any
number of functions with proper programming of the 2290.  (By the way
these are not MIDI pedals, they connect with 1/4" plugs)  In addition to
this, he tells me that TC no longer offers the ME00 sampling time
expansion units.  In the past TC has offered 4 seconds of stock sampling
time on the 2290 that can be upgraded in 4 second increments with
purchase of an additional ME00.  You could go all the way up to 32
seconds of CD quality sampling.  I bought my 2290 a few years ago under
the notion that I could upgrade and expand the unit as my needs and my
pocketbook allowed.  Now I'm stuck with only 4 seconds of time, and no
footcontroler.  This will not allow me to use the 2290 as a real-time
looper in any capacity in a live performance.  Let this be a warning for
those out there who are thinking about picking up a 2290 for its
realtime performance sampling/loop features.  Right now the only way I
can do any looping is through the front panel buttons.
    I'm a little pissed about this, because there is no mention of this
on TCs website.  Have they all but abandoned the 2290??  Is it now just
essentially an expensive digital delay??  I do hope I'm wrong about all
this, because the tech mentioned that the 5-switch 0050 footcontroller
could only access the 5 individual FX loops.  This COMPLETELY defies
what the manual says, which states that each switch can be user defined
through programming of the 2290.  He also tried to convince me that the
0144 footcontrol did not allow for any specific sampling/loop
functions.  I didn't even bother to tell him that Doug Wimbish has been
using his 0144 to start/stop realtime loops on his 2290 for YEARS (by
the way you can see both of Doug's TC footconrtolers in the current
issue of Bass Player).  So maybe the guy had no clue what he was talking
about.  I hope so.
    The manual does mention something about building a 5 switch unit for
use with the 2290, with specific resistor values for each switch.  I may
end up having to try to put one of these together.  If it works I could
at least salvage SOME live performance/loop function out of the unit.
What I would rather do is locate a 0144, or an 0050 footcontrol unit,
new or used.  I would also desperately like to find a source for some
memory expansion units.  I hate it that I have this big ol expensive
machine with all this cool potential, and I can't do anything with it
because TC has pulled the rug out from under me.  If all else fails I
guess I'll buy a Boomerang and call it a day.
    Sorry for such a long message from a first timer, but I thought this
might be of some interest/importance to those here.
Micah