Re: hard disk recording

hi

At 12.18 21/05/99 +0100, you wrote:
>I doubt your mac g3 is going to get overwhelmed.
>
>I have a Power computing clone (604e @ 210 mHz) and in cubase, I can run
>up to 18 tracks of audio. This is not connected to the audio card
>performance. The trouble of built-in audio is sound quality.
>
>I think the ceappest are SEK'D, Yamaha's DSP farm and the old audiomedia
>III.
>Again I may be wrong.
>
>Regarding Acid, I think that Recycle is doing more or less what acid may
>do.

they are really different programs. Recycle breaks the original audio file
in multiple slices, analizing attack tresholds. then you can export slices
as single audio files or transmit them to a sampler to be played via MIDI
(the prog creates the MIDI sequence too).
Acid works on audio only, performing real time timestretching and pitch
shifting operations. If you have a bunch of loops at different tempos and
pitch, just load them in acid and in a few seconds all has musical sense!
Two great softwares, but really different...

But i'm no expert on that point. Looping on a computer just involves
>in my case, recording a part of interest and copying it. I can then
>change effects/placement/volume:eq/whatever, but that is the main way
>for me to loop on a computer.
>
>A french advertisement for MOTU says "with an off the shelf G3 @ 450 mHz
>and a 2408, it was possible to get up to 72 audio tracks
>simultaneously".

I've got a MOTU2408 and it's a great soundcard. If you plan to work a lot
with adat and other digital devices get a 2408. I'm only waiting to have
some money for a new mac G3... ;)

ciao
leo