Re: PC vs. Mac for recording

Hi Folks! (he intoned, avoiding the eternal self-abuse of platform
arguments)

Like the others said, if all one wants is a particular package, and it only
runs on Mac, then you've already made your decision, without our input -
though it remains to be seen how long Mac will exist in its present form...

However!  On the subject of EIDE vs. SCSI CD-R and CD-RW drives, I've got
something really important to pass along...

The final verdict on EIDE in this regard is in, and it's a technical
reality
as opposed to a preference.  It turns out that Bus Mastering - AND UDMA -
cause the machine to go much faster than EIDE CD burners were designed to
go.  This is the simple version from Smart and Friendly support, after a
torrid week going through multiple units to see which works.  Regardless of
SCSI lovers I decided I was going to try to keep this essentially foreign
bios out of my PC if at all possible, but would relent if necessary.  Well,
it turns out that it's necessary.

** WARNING!  OPINION PROXIMITY ALERT! **

Ugh, frankly.  Goodbye to Yet Another Interrupt (though I've free ones, so
that part is relatively painless), and hello to a lengthier boot process.
Alas.

** END OF OPINION **

Stephen Goodman * It's the Loop of the Week!
EarthLight Productions * http://www.earthlight.net