VJamm and Video... Rights...

The aspect of using video in live performance is an important one for me,
and while it's not always been possible to have good hookups in a facility,
one would like to plan for as much of a presentation as possible, yes?

Finding sources for material though, may travel into areas we've been to
via
this newsletter before, that is, copyrights..  The aspect of "noone's
looking" is almost the opposite of an excuse if someone notices that you're
putting on a Show utilizing copyrighted material - and I understand that
there are some allowances, though I've not investigated it fully as yet
(concentrating on upping my audio capabilities first, though having just
entered into Video Capture Land, functionally).

How, for instance, did the so-called "Zoo TV" bit proceed without anyone
noticeably jumping up and yelling "infringement!"?  The idea of performing
with a bank of screens behind the band, frankly, was done by Lou Reed on
his
"Rock N Roll Heart" tour in the 70s (he used experimental and live video,
though it clipped past quickly, and wasn't supposed to be a focus).
Combine
this with the Channel Surfing concept, and it would seem you have Zoo TV.
Nonetheless, there MUST have been some noise about capturing various
material in this manner.

Anyhoo, I choose the original material path at this time.  A fine, fine
"screen saver" (though I chuckle at the use of the word these days) is the
Psychedelic Screen Saver, by Synthesoft (http://www.synthesoft.com), which
is audio-sensitive (so much so on a fast PC that it revealed a weak link in
my system - the monitor isn't presently fast enough to keep up and NOT
strobe noticeably).  It's more than a spinning wireframe, too, and was used
during last year's MTV Music Awards by one band (Silverchair?  Korn?  I
don't know these new fellas much).  Really beautiful effects.

I contacted the folks at Synthesoft, who inform me that they have no
restrictions on the use of their fine product, for either performance OR
video tape use.  They wouldn't mind having some credit for making the
program, of course, which is IMNSHO is a positive business ethic at least.

Stephen Goodman * It's the Loop of the Week!
EarthLight Productions * http://www.earthlight.net