Re: Devices versus computers for live looping

Well, I always thought of the machines that Tangerine Dream used as
computers. There were a lot of synched-up arpeggiators and stuff. It
was before the phenomenon of "click and drag" composing, but I think
that they were using the computers available at the time.Not that
I know a lot about Tangerine Dream--I don't. Feel free to correct me if
I'm wrong. Another example of electronic music without computers is the
early tape collage-ists, or composers of "musique concrete" like
Stockhausen.

I agree with you on the overuse of computers in the live format. I've been
to enough shows of just a guy on stage in front of a laptop clicking a
mouse, you know, where the guy composed all of his tracks at home and just
switches them on and off on stage. I don't get any entertainment from
that.
Don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed with a lot musicians using
computers to make recorded music, especially because they give the
musicians the chance to add tracks when they're inspired, not just when
their studio time is scheduled.
When I pay $10 to go to a show, I want to see a creative act, not just
folks playing all of the songs saved on thier hard drives.

matt