Bad memory warning

Hey loopers and other digital nuts-

I want to issue a note of caution on buying simms, dimms, and other
dram-like products:

In recent months I've had quite a few people come to me about problems they
had upgrading the memory in their echoplex. The problems turned out to be
caused by bad simms.  Mike Ayers of Gibson/Oberheim told me today that he
has also been encountering a lot of this problem with users.

So be warned - there is a remarkable amount of bad memory out on the market
right now. If you are upgrading memory in something (could be anything, not
just echoplexes....), you may want to save yourself a lot of trouble and
steer clear of the cheapest bargain shop on the net. Stick to the more
reputable places.

I think this is happening because the dram market has been completely
tanked for a while now. Memory chip companies have been losing massive
amounts of money over the past year. I imagine by now they are selling
anything that even looks like a dram chip, no matter how marginal the
tester says it is. (assuming they still test the chips at all....)  So, be
careful.

To help people out, could some of you who have bought memory successfully
in recent months suggest quality vendors?

thanks!

kim