Re: Dumping EDP samples to Akai

>>>Has anyone out there successfully dumped a loop from the EDP to an Akai
>>>Series Sampler? The documentation for this feature on both boxes is
>pretty
>>>slim. I've been able to get a sample from the Akai (S3000XL) to the EDP,
>>>but the other way around still eludes me.
>>>
>>>I'd rather not use the computer as a middleman, but is anyone doing it
>that
>>>way?
>
>>If the EDP is just dumping it's samples as a generic MIDI sample dump,
>then
>>you should be able to transfer directly between any devices that support
>>MIDI sample dump without using a computer as a middleman.
>>
>>You would just set the EDP to send a MIDI sample dump, and set the other
>>device to receive a MIDI sample dump, and vice versa when going the other
>>way. You would have to make sure they were both expecting the MIDI sample
>>dump on the same MIDI channel. Whether you initiate the sample dump from
>>the sending or receiving device depends on how the two devices handle it,
>>some devices can initiate the dump as sender and receiver, some can only
>>initiate the dump when being the sender.
>>
>>Check the manuals of both devices for info on how to use MIDI sample
>dumps
>>in each device.
>
>Hmm. I have it set up just like it says in the manuals of both devices.
>The
>Akai specifically says it will automatically recieve a dump when the other
>device initiates a transfer. When I initiate a dump from the echoplex I
>can
>see the Akai is receiving MIDI data. However, when the dump is completed,
>nothing is different in Akai land.

Is there an option to initiate the EDP-Akai dump from the Akai instead of
the EDP, that is if the EDP supports initiation of the transfer from the
receiving device?

>I'm not quite sure about the channel. I have the echoplex set to MIDI
>channel 1. I have the Akai on system exclusive channel 1. I know the
>difference between Sysex channel and MIDI channel... but the Akai ->
>echoplex transfer works correctly, so I must be doing something right. I
>just don't know how to set or find out what the Sysex channel is on the
>Echoplex. Unfourtunatly there is no mention of this in the manual... or
>the
>faq... or the mailing list archive...

Maybe the EDP is accepting the dump on any channel, but sending on a
specific channel. I would have thought that if the EDP was set to channel
1, then it would send sysex out channel 1 and that the Akai would receive
it OK. Maybe you can set the EDP sysex MIDI channel to a different channel
than it's basic MIDI channel, I don't know I'm just guessing all this.

Maybe the Akai is receiving the MIDI data, but it just doesn't recognise
the EDP initiating the transfer, that's why I suggested trying to make the
Akai initiate as the receiving device.

If you have the time you could also try the setting the Akai to receive on
each of the 16 different MIDI channels, ie. try it 16 times at each
different Akai sysex channel, to see if the EDP is sending the sysex out a
different MIDI channel to it's basic MIDI channel setting. And if you have
even more time you could try the 16 MIDI channels with the EDP as the
initiator, as well as the 16 MIDI channels with the Akai as the initiator.

Maybe you could ask this question on the Akai sampler mailing list, it
might be a problem with the Akai in general and might happen with other
devices, and not a specific problem with the EDP.

Good luck,
Simon
Canberra
AUSTRALIA