Re: creative ennui question/Oblique Strategies.....ragas

>Ive been trying to find out about ragas for a bit
>whats a resource for that type of thing?
>
>and any other obscure leads would be nice
>
>rodrigo

Here are a few URL's, most of which link to further sites of interest:

http://www.raganet.com/RagaNet/
http://www.premamusic.com/links.indian.html
http://southasia.net/Arts/Music/Instrumental/index.html
http://fareed.com/drone.html
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~sundar/
http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/isast/journal/cartlm4.html
http://www.ancient-future.com/rhythm.html
http://www.paganmusic.com/ethnic.htm

and a disclaimer: Just because I jot down an exotic ethnic scale on the
back of a slip of paper doesn't mean that I in any way consider myself an
expert in the musics of India, Java, Bali, Egypt, Turkey, Lebanon, etc.,
and I hope I didn't imply otherwise in my earlier posting. Asian and Middle
Eastern musics are among the world's most challenging, and are generally
characterized by students sitting at the feet of their teachers for years
of disciplined study before being so presumptuous as to lay claim to any
musical proficiency. My suggestion of using ragas and gamelan scales drawn
at random from a hat can certainly lead to some interesting and original
results, particularly in the context of something like Oblique Strategies,
and can be extremely enjoyable, but is NOT in any way a claim of
proficiency, expertise or authenticity. It IS, however, one of many ways to
get out of the type of stagnant rut we have been discussing in this thread,
and it IS a good way to expose oneself to some great music.

Have fun,

Tim