RE: Hi Fi Bugs Concerned about Live Performance

What you are describing is sometimes seen in classical symphony
performance,
particularly if the performance is some obscure work.  Mostly in classical
performance, the audience tend to hold back more out of respect, politeness
(fear of fauxpas?), waiting for "cues" from someone in the audience who
displays the confidence to discern when the pauses between movements are
and
when the end of the symphony is.  Then, applause erupts properly.  In
symphonies, the written program indicates movements, but classical music is
very structured.

In the more obscure symphonic works, improper applause sometimes starts to
break out sporadically, but is quickly quelled when the bulk of the
audience
doesn't respond in kind.  Most classical music goers seem to have the
learned the capability of being embarrassed.  From what you are describing,
it doesn't sound like a significant portion of the audience has spent much
time watching classical symphonies.  I think you will just have to live
with
this until your audience comes to know your music better or you somehow
explain it to them, verbally or with a written program.  They probably
appreciate what you are trying to do, and maybe would like a little
guidance
from you.  Good luck!