RE: the CDs --> Liberate Music!

Andre,

Well-said. i often imagine a world where some of my favorite musicians made
different choices. Steve Reich could have become an academic philosopher.
Eno could have become a chemist. Robert Fripp could have become an
engineer.
My world would have been infinitely bleaker had these people made other
choices. Because of this sense of enrichment, i am glad to support,
directly
and fiscally, the musicians whose work i consume.

On the other hand, mass distribution of music has been a horrible thing.
Over and above the effects you describe in which people become alienated
from the real energy and effort involved in the production of music, there
is the environmental impact. Even if what i had to communicate musically
had
wide appeal, which i sincerely doubt, the image of a warehouse full of CD's
and cassette tapes with my name on them-no chance of them gracefully
bio-degrading for the next 10,000 years-gives me the shivers. i can barely
face up to the consequences of the plastic i do consume, much less handle
the responsibility for bringing so much more into the world.

i relish participating in the emergence of a vehicle like the Internet by
which i can learn about people who produce musics i enjoy and which allows
me to support them more directly. When i think about a future in which that
music can be distributed more directly from producer to audience with much
less environmental impact, i feel a distinct sense of hope.

On a completely different note, i was wondering if any of you loopists have
been exploring yet another natural extension of looping: playing the loops
by hand in an ensemble setting? Over the 11 years i've been looping i've
gradually gotten  interested in longer and longer loops. And i've been
exploring layering loops of different cycle lengths to produce still longer
loops. i've also gotten more interested in the human feel that arises when
group finds its natural tempo. (E.g., what one experiences in a drum
circle.) Has anyone been experimenting with this sort of thing?

i'd be especially interested to hear of other's experiences in this kind of
setting. Additionally, if anyone has developed useful techniques for
maintaining/splitting attention while playing long, hypnotic loops, i'd
really like to hear about them.

--greg