Re: Enough Already!! . . . "good" avant-garde music

> > Collins [SMTP:collinsclan@sprintmail.com]
> >

> > You've got that one right. The only parts of the US that you can get
>good
> > avant-garde music is NYC.
> >
>       ** i would have to say that this is absolutely untrue. having been
> at some really great "avant-garde" musical experiences in both los
>angeles
> and san francisco - - as well as great bands from places like new mexico
>- -
> i have to take exception to this comment.

Jeff, please don't take this as "piling on", but I have to agree with
Stu Leibig.

I don't mean to toot San Diego's horn too much and in fact admit that
finding good avant-garde here takes a bit of work.  But's its not that hard
here, what with UCSD's music department and the folks associated with it.

I get a decent dose of avant-garde at a place called Spruce Street Forum.
Just missed Stu's quartet there but did manage to see KRosser play with
Brad Dutz as well as other quality improv artists.  Yes, Bonnie the
director
relies on donations to pay folks from NYC to come down here, but she also
has performers from the West Coast, Canada, and, yes, even San Diego
play at the Forum.

Actually, I think it may be harder to find live drum-and-bass music here
than good avant-garde... :)

Paolo