Subject: Re: Hohner/Steiny Copy question...
Author:  "Bill Appleton" <bappleton@hciww.com> at Internet
Date:    12/01/99 09:47

I have one of the Hohner steinberger copies (the guitar, I think they make
bass also).  The tone is entirely different from a real steinberger
guitar.
The pickups are cheapo "emg licensed" pickups and the body is made of
wood.
All that said, its a pretty good guitar in its own right.  The hardware is
pretty good, the tone is OK (maple neck thru), and the playability is good
for a sub-400 dollar guitar.  I bought mine as a cheap travel guitar and
it
has done pretty well in that role.
Pros: Looks like a steinberger, low cost, lightweight, travel-ready,
low-noise pickups, single coils (s/s/h config) work well with ebow,
versatile tone knob and pickup switches, nice bridge and whammy bar, uses
cool double ball end strings.
Cons: Doesn't sound like a steinberger, weak pickups, uses double ball end
strings.

Bill Appleton