Re: What got ya to where you are...

My earliest cognitive realization of "looping" was a track called
"Sweatloaf" from a Butthole Surfers album entitled "Locust Abortion
Technician.  This was 1987, mind you  I was thirteen years old and was
quite happy with my transition from listening to Iron Maiden and Motley
Crue to Metallica and Slayer. The eighties were an evil time to be an
impressionable youth. Needless to say, I didn't understand and was a
little scared of the Butthole Surfers.
    Yes yes, I listened to goddamn Fishbone and Jane's Addiction  a few
years later.
    Then I began my  flirtation with psychedelics.
    and then it went a little something like this:

husker du
fugazi
sonic youth
my bloody valentine (this would be were the "looping' influence came in)

flying saucer attack
stars of the lid
merzbow and japanese noise
evan parker, derek bailey, AMM et al.
Tony Conrad, Lamont Young...minimalism

    I find the echoplex to be a supreme tool for the chaos loving
minimalist...if you set it to a loop time of 7 or eight seconds you car
really make some complex pieces rather quickly.
    Okay...Blutorge.