RE: What got ya to where you are...

This should be good for a laugh.

My earliest recollection of looping would be when I was only a few years
old, and I discovered how to work my parents record player.
Sometimes the record would skip on an interesting part of the record and
form an almost seamless loop.
Sometimes I would manually shift the needle to acheive this effect.

After my childhood I remained quite seperated from music until I was
sixteen, when I discovered late night music television. That was the end
of my days as an early riser, but the start of a love of music.

My first favourite band was Aerosmith, and I quickly turned onto bands
like Living Colour, Faith No More, Janes Addiction and Fishbone.
I was a happy metalhead for a while too, and absorbed many "classic"
influences such as Led Zeppelin and Santana.

Soon I started wanting more complexity and colour than the new music of
the (by then) early nineties was providing.
It must have been some sort of reaction to the domination of grunge
music, because I headed straight for King Crimson. (Much thanks to
Vernon Reid for mentioning his influences in a guitar mag)

Then it was all over.
Crimson => Robert Fripp => Looping
Crimson => Tony Levin => Stick

And for the last three years  I have been listening to the inevitable
music to come from looping and stick sources.

Parallel to this I have discovered the beauty of Miles Davis' 70's era
music, much classical and non-western music, and have been playing a bit
of my own music.

However, my biggest influence is not from a musical source as such, but
from the world around me.
I think it stems from watching too much of the Muppet show as a kid, but
i observe that a lot of the activity of everday life has qualities that
I can best express in musical or audio\visual terms.
Hence my occupation\pastime as an animator.

I have only tentatively ventured into the realm of looping music and
visual terms, but i intend through the use of computers to create some
connections between audio and visual loops.

I have thought that there are two approaches here.
Since looping is often spontaneous, it would be good to be able to loop
images spontaneously too.
At the same time, I don't know that the technology is there yet, and so
I may approach it from a more structured and planned stance, more like
writing a visual score to accompany music :)

End of story
JL