Monitors and Amps

Hi all.

I've been lurking for a bit here and I am a new comer to this whole looping
thang.  I am just starting to look for items to create a small person
studio
for myself and would like some purchacing advice from anyone out there.

I've read through the studio monitor string last week (the pros and cons of
the Yamahas) but was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Alesis
Monitor Ones.  They seem to be priced to compete with the Yamahas.  I too
have friends who either swear by the yamahas or dispise them (the consensus
I got was about the same as the opinions given here and Looper's Delight).
Are the Alesis any better/worse/the same?

I was also wondering what a good reference amp might be.  Is the Alesis one
OK?  Hafler?  Carvin?

Thanks a bunch.

Jim Ko