Re: acid

     Hi all

     I bought another of the ACID variants - "Ph1" - back in November. £79
     in the UK and approx $100 US. Seems to have replaced in the shops
here
     already by "Music". Not sure if/what the difference is - it's much
the
     same as the full px, without support for multiple sound cards,
     effects, or MIDI/SMPTE synch, as I remember.

     Definitely worth having, both for looping and as a multi-tracker,
     although the latter is sometimes a bit harder to work with. The main
     px has been reviewed all over the place in the last few months -
     Electronic Musician (Nov 1998), (just plain old) Musician
     <http://www.musicianmag.com/tech/pick/jan.asp>, Sound On Sound (Nov
     '98?), the current (Jan 99) issue of which contains a guest editorial
     decrying how easy ACID makes it for anyone to knock together a dance
     track, often using the author's sample discs...
     <http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/jan99/articles/soundingoff236.htm>

     Not that ACID is solely dance-oriented. As several other have noted,
     its easy to use your own WAV's, there are some interesting "world"
     loops a layer or two down in the directories, and also some samples
     from DT's Pandora's Box collection if you search for them (or just
     bump into 'em as I did).

     If still in doubt, get a demo from the sonic foundry site or some of
     the cover discs. I had no problem with it, or the "proper" px. Its
     both simple to use, or potentially V. deep (in terms of panning,
     volume changes, using fragments of samples without needing to edit
the
     original WAV etc)

     Cheers

     David