Re: Dual EDP config.

Jim Carter wrote:

> It was interesting that so many of you use two echoplexes
> (echoplicis - can we get an official verdict on this) to
> perform asyncronous loopage.
>
> What I would like to know now is how you achieve this - hardwarewise.
> Do you just run of two AUX sends on a mixer ?
> Do you use two separate foot controllers?
> Is there an easy way to sync/desync two pair for stereo/asynchronous
> loops?
>
> At the danger of becoming gearheaded, I would be interested in seeing
> schematics of looper rigs, especially live setups.

I built my own footswitches.  I usually use 3 of them in a live
performance.  All
the footswitches are identical.  Each footswitch functions independently
of the others
and each can control either EDP.  They look alot like the standard EDP
with these exceptions:
1) The button labels are larger and are above the buttons rather than
below.  The theory is
that I can see them easier and my foot doesn't cover up the label of the
button that I'm
preparing to press.  2) The record button is bigger than the others; i.e.,
it protrudes above
the panel surface about 4 times higher that the other switches.  I find I
make less mistakes
this way.  The other buttons are EXACTLY the same kind as the standard EDP
footswitch
buttons.  3) I added a "Shadow" (sp?) push-on, push-off button in the
upper-righthand corner
and extra 1/4" phone jacks to the back panel.  Each footswitch can control
two EDPs (call
them EDP "A" and EDP "B").  The Shadow switch selects which EDP is
controlled.  BTW, I chose
Shadow switches because they have a nifty, highly visible neon-colored
indicator that shows
which position they're in WITHOUT NEEDING POWER.  Hence, my footswitches
are still totally
passive.  Shadow switches aren't intended to be foot-operated, however, so
you shouldn't jump
up and down on them.  4) Each footswitch has four phone jacks.  Two are
labeled "A", are
wired in parallel, and connect to the "A" EDP.  The other two are likewise
in parallel, are
labeled "B", and connect to the "B" EDP.  I use the duplicate jack to
daisy-chain the pedals
together.  Incidentally, in retrospect I would also install two 1/4"
stereo phone jacks so I
could use stereo phone cords and reduce the number of cables required.

Partial schematic:

                  +--------------+
            +---->|in  EDP A  out|>----------------------+
            |     +--------------+                       |
            |                                            |
            |                                            |
            |     +--------------+                       |
            +---->|in  EDP B  out|>------------------+   |
            |     +--------------+                   |   |
            |                                        |   |
            |                                        |   |
            |                                        |   |
            |      +------------------------+        |   |
            +-----<|aux 1 out               |        |   |
                   |                        |        |   |
                   |                        |        |   |