Re: new EDP features (was: echoplex or jamman?)

(I'm re-sending this as it didn't seem to go out correctly the first time.
 Please pardon
if you get this twice. - DL)

Kim Flint wrote:

> we're gonna make you real happy in the near future.....;-)

I like to hear that!  You know, you guys already are batting 1000 as far
as I'm concerned.
 It's hard to describe how much pleasure I've derived over the past few
years from looping
via the EDP.  Many years ago, I used an old TEAC 4 track for awhile but I
gave up looping
because such "primitve" technology gotin the way.  I find the EDP so
incredibly easy to
use, in comparison, that it usually doesn't get in the way of my
creativity.

But enough of my effusions...since you brought up the future of the EDP,
I've been meaning
to share these thoughts:

How about a new additional unit, I'll call the "EDP Helper?"  I'll try to
explain it's
proposed features without too much meandering.

1) The EDP is wonderful as a stand-alone unit.  A pair of EDPs also works
very well for
stereo.  What I want to do, however, is to use several in a synchronized
fashion.  The
paradigm here, probably due to my history of tape machine usage, is to
view multiple EDPs
as tracks on a multi-track recorder.  Of course, because of the nature of
solid-state,
digital recorders like the EDP, you'd expect them to do things tape
recorders couldn't do.
 The "EDP Helper" would have many features specifically designed to
operate multiple EDPs.
 These features would include manipulation of MIDI clock timing, starting
and stopping
loops (perhaps sequencing through the memories of an EDP, e.g., do {play
loop from MEM 1
twice, followed by loop from MEM 2} ) and a user interface specifically
designed for
multiple EDPs.

2) As a central control, the "EDP Helper" would also have MIDI sequencing
features (at a
basic level) in order to support changing parameters and operating modes
of the EDPs.
Players would use the "EDP Helper" instead of a full-featured sequencer to
change, for
example, the number of beats/8ths for a particular EDP.  This sequencing
feature, as well
as other features, could perhaps be optionally controlled by a nifty GUI
program on Mac or
PC.

3) The display of the "EDP Helper" would supplement the EDP display.  For
example, I could
really use a display that shows where I am in the loop.  It could be as
simple as a
"count-up" which is reset at the loop start (similar to the regular EDP
display when
recording).  The player could select what kind of information to display
and which "slave"
EDP would be the source.

4) The audio looping features of the "EDP Helper" would be light-weight
when compared to
the EDP.  For example, when I use multiple EDPs in a synchronized fashion,
I designate one
of them to function as the "master" MIDI clock source.  I play a simple
pattern into the
master, many times just a shaker, clave, or bass drum pattern.  I don't
need to do things
like INSERT, NEXT LOOP, and so forth.  I use the "master" EDP simply as
the MIDI clock
source.  Most times, after I build synchronized loops on other EDPs, I
fade out the master
EDP for the duration of the piece.  Conversely, if somebody only had an
"EDP Helper", they
could still do useful looping with it.  This would expand the market for
an "EDP Helper"
beyond owners of multiple EDPs.

As described above, the "EDP Helper" would be very heavy on the control
and display
features and light on the audio feature.  Perhaps, it could even be
implemented totally in
software.

Your thoughts???

- Dennis Leas